Monday, July 16, 2012

Thinking Like The Psalmist About The Scriptures


Last week I encouraged us to read the Bible for our own profit. The Scriptures offer this promise: “Blessed [supremely happy]” is the person whose “delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.” Everyone seeks to be happy and we ought to seek our own happiness. Our being blessed or happy leads to the overflow of our joy in both praise to God and in acts of kindness and love to other people.

If we delight in the Word of God then what we believe about the Bible should inspire what we do with it. This was true for the writer of Psalm 119. The psalmist believed that,

God’s Word is true - Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Your law is truth (v. 142). The entirety of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever (v. 160).

God’s Word brings joy - Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, For they are the rejoicing of my heart (v.111).

God’s Word brings wisdom - Oh, how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; For they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation.  I understand more than the ancients, Because I keep Your precepts
(vss. 97-100).

God’s Word makes one blessed or supremely happy - Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the Lord! Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the whole heart (vss. 1, 2)!

God’s Word cleanses us from sin - How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word
(v.9).

 This is what the psalmist believed about Scripture. So what did this belief inspire him to do? It motivated him to,

Study the Word of God - Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day (v. 97).

Delight in the Word of God - Unless Your law had been my delight
I would then have perished in my affliction
(v. 92).

Store the Word of God in his heart - Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You
(v. 11).

Obey the Word of God - Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them (v. 129). Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments (105, 106).

Praise God for His Word - I will praise You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments
(v.7). Seven times a day I praise You,
Because of Your righteous judgments
(v. 164).

 And because of his attitude and actions concerning the Word of God the psalmist could then sing, “Great peace have those who love Your law,
And nothing causes them to stumble
(v. 165). Let’s think like the psalmist concerning the Word and let’s act accordingly for our own good and God’s glory.




No comments:

Post a Comment