Monday, February 13, 2012

An Open Letter to My Love For Valentine’s Day


Dear Marilee,

 I am in love with you. This coming August we will have been married 38 years. In many ways it seems just like yesterday. May the Lord give us many more years together. But whatever the future holds I know that we have eternity. God has been so very kind to me by leading me to you. You filled a huge hole in my heart when we first met. And you have been my best friend ever since.

 I like to think about our future together and the ways in which we will both serve God. God has gifted you in so many ways. And alI of who you are is His gift to me. I see us loving the people in our church both old friends and new ones. I see us enjoying our sons and their future spouses. I see us proud of them as they serve God and His Son Jesus Christ in whatever capacity He calls them. Thank you for homeschooling our sons and preparing them for life. They are fine young men and they will “rise up and call [you] blessed.”*

 I see us growing stronger and more restful in the long proved goodness and kindness of God. As we grow old together we will wrinkle and we will ache, but we will bear our wrinkles and aches with grace. And as we look into each other’s eyes we will always see the real person inside. We will  see us…I see us, always. Scripture asks the question, “Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies.”* The answer is: I have. And your worth is far above all the gems stones in the world.

 Marilee, I hope you are not embarrassed by this open display of affection. But some joys are so good they must be shared. I love you. I always have and I always will. Happy Valentine’s Day!

 Chuck

*Proverbs 31: 28, 10




1 comment:

  1. You are such a great example to us in the church . The way you love your best friend and provide her a leader/partner in this challenging life. I have also seen the bold smiling looks in her eyes she gives you when you are ministering to others. For a couple in love to embrace and kiss with the passion of honeymooners is a common sight, But over the years observing you living your love, I have come to enjoy the Godly example of what a marriage truly is.

    ReplyDelete